With elaborate stone construction and elegant Monticello-inspired architecture, it is not readily apparent that this campus of buildings was originally a psychiatric hospital. Built in 1911, this institution was established “for the segregation of the epileptic and feeble-minded.” When it opened, this community was lauded as a model institution for the treatment of the developmentally disabled. It was considered a progressive alternative to the high-rise asylums of that time period. In 1950, the hospital gained notoriety as the site of one of the first human trials of a still-experimental polio vaccine. Ironically, the well-intended goals for this facility were displaced by overcrowding, malnourishment, and even the torturing of patients. The hospital has been closed since 1996.